PDF versions: 1-page resume | full CV
- Principal Architect -- Senior Architect -- Architect, Akamai Technologies (2014 -- present)
- Internal advocate for security and system safety. Analyzed
systems for technical risks and hazards; advised executives and
developers regarding feasible remediations. Created and delivered
ongoing company-wide training on hazard analysis and safety
practices for complex systems.
- Co-Founder, Amy Herzog Designs (2012 -- 2021)
- Engineering 'half' of two-person startup. Responsible for
development and maintenance of profitable webapp from inception to
sale. Use of test-driven development, CI/CD processes, and
cloud-based deployment enabled single-person 'team' to develop new
features while supporting 31K users.
- Technical Staff, MIT Lincoln Laboratory (2009 -- 2014)
- Analysis, development and standardization of group-keying
protocols; security analysis of tactical communication systems;
development of new cryptographic algorithms; empirical test and
evaluation of privacy-preserving database systems. PI for two
projects; software developer on three projects. Authored four
conference publications and one IETF RFC. Organized
13-week course on all aspects of cyber security.
- Cryptographic Consultant, Jonathan Herzog Consulting (2006 -- 2009)
- Sample projects: evaluation of proprietary cryptographic algorithms;
review of open-source cryptographic libraries; guidance with regard
to selection of security protocols.
- Associate Professor of Computer Science, Naval Postgraduate School (2006 -- 2008)
- Teaching: Algorithms & data structures; programming languages
& OOP (Java, Python, OCaml, Perl, Erlang, Ada, Prolog, and assorted
development tools); cryptography & cryptographic protocols.
- Cryptographer, The MITRE Corporation (1997 -- 2006)
- Cryptographic analysis and development. Author of 18 conference
and journal publications; developer on 2 software projects.
Influenced standard for SSHv2; advised both NSA and Air Force.
Proposed and managed three tasks with combined budget of $600K and
combined staff of 5 researchers.
- PhD: MIT, Computer Science, 2002 -- 2004
- MS: MIT, Computer Science, 2000 -- 2002
- BS: Harvey Mudd College, Mathematics, 1993 -- 1997
- Naval Postgraduate School: Honorable Mention, RADM Schieffelin Award (i.e., rated among top 5% of faculty
- IEEE, IEEE TC on Security & Privacy: IEEE Golden Core Award, Meritorious Service Award, Outstanding
Community Service Award (twice)
- The MITRE Corporation: MITRE Best Paper Award, Program Innovation
Award, Program Recognition Award, Spot Award
- Harvey Mudd College: High honors, departmental honors
- Other: R&D 100 Award,
cited by Wikipedia,
Putnam score: 13